By Main Ingredient
Salad Olovieh: Persian Egg Salad
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 30-60 minutes (all hands-off boiling of potatoes and eggs) SERVES: Serves 10-12
- 61 people
"Salad Olovieh" is a Persian (also Russian) chicken/egg/potato salad, with pickles, peas, olives, olive oil, mayonnaise, and lemon. As far as egg salad or chicken salad goes, it's simply the best around. I tend to make it mostly for big daytime get-togethers where I usually tend to cook vegetarian, so I more often cook it without the chicken.
I have not seen the day where I have made it and someone hasn't asked me for the recipe. Most often, moms ask for the recipe because kids always seem to love it. When I serve it, I usually smooth down the top, add just a touch of mayo or sour cream to coat the top and then decorate with tomatoes, pickes, olives, cucumbers...whatever I have on hand.
It's easy (and cheap!) to make a huge batch of it. It doesn't involve much work besides a lot of boiling. If you don't want to make such a large amount, just cut the recipe in half.
Vegetarian Gluten Free Low Carb Low Fat
- 12 eggs, hardboiled
- 4 Russet potatoes (about 1 cup's worth each), boiled and peeled
- 2 cups shredded poached chicken or Just Chicken (OPTIONAL)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 cup slices Kalamata or black olives
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
1) Mash the potatoes in a large bowl, and add the frozen peas while the potatoes are still hot. The heat will thaw the peas. 2) Roughly chop the eggs. To the potatoes, add the eggs, chicken, pickles, and olives and combine. 3) Add the mayo, olive oil, and lemon juice to the mixture, stirring until the mayo is evenly distributed throughout. Add salt and pepper to taste. 4) Chill in the fridge and serve with pita pockets, baguette pieces, or other favorite sandwich bread.
No reviews yet. Login to add the first!